Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Peer Critiques

Students are entering their third week of studying butterflies and caterpillars, and so much of the research and work has been led by the students. In the first week, students began observing, researching, and wondering about butterflies and caterpillars.  Through their research, they became interested in a topic that they wanted to know more about, which resulted in a multi-media project they worked on with a small group of students. Students have spent several hours working on these projects, paying special attention to detail so their project shows complete and accurate thinking.


An important aspect of making strong work is peer critique.  Students have been using Ron Berger's model for peer critiques: 
  1. Be KIND. 
  2. Be SPECIFIC. 
  3. Be HELPFUL. 

Here are some other guidelines students often go by when giving (and receiving) peer critiques: 
  • They often start with a group presenting their work and letting the class know if there is a specific aspect they are seeking help with. 
  • Critique the work, not the person 
  • Begin the critique with something positive about the work, and then move on to constructive criticism. 
  • Use "I" statements. For example, "I'm confused by this" instead of "This makes no sense." 
  • Ask a question when possible. For example, "I'm curious why you chose to begin with this?" or "Have you considered including...?"
  • Even if you don't think you will use a person's critique, listen with an open mind and say "thank you." 

Here's some critiques we've heard: 
  • "I really like the way you chose to make the butterflies. I'm wondering why they are so big?" 
  • "I really like how you made your mobile hang. Maybe you could add a part to label egg, larva, pupa, adult." 
  • "I think you could add more details about what a caterpillar does in its life. Instead of just writing grow, sleep, eat, and shed skin, I want to know more about each of those things."

Students have given and received critique, and are now working to make their projects stronger as they incorporate the kind, specific, and helpful words from their peers.