This work began in each 2 & 3 classroom. Groups of children came up with rules. Here is an example from 2 groups. The ideas range from "no stretching passes" to "share ideas":
The groups' rules were shared with the whole class, and each class found ways to agree together about their "Three Most Important Rules".
Because our classes do so much work together, we knew that we needed to share our thinking between classes. Each class shared their three rules. There was so much similarity, and yet there were now twelve rules. What should we do?
Each class sent two "Ambassadors" to meet together and share thinking. We quickly saw that many of our twelve statements were about respect and loving with mercy, so the first two rules were easy. Now what to do about the last five?
Students began to talk with their hands and with their voices. Everyone had something to say. I heard: "What do YOU think?" and "I agree with you." "I agree with Bella", and "I'm not sure."
"It seems 'be welcoming' is part of being helpful."
"I agree."
"We think 'take a risk' is part of being safe."
"Maybe we could combine these three: be helpful, be safe, and tell the truth."
"I think the rule should be 'Be safe' because if you're not emotionally safe, you won't be helpful or tell the truth."
"I agree. When you're feeling safe, you won't feel like you have to hide something."
"If you are safe, are you helpful? Are you telling the truth?"
"What about 'Be safe and HELP others'?"
After 20 minutes, students were prepared to share the three rules of our covenant with homerooms. They are:
Respect everything and everyone.
Love with mercy.
Be safe, and help others be safe, too.
What might a FAMILY covenant look like? If you have a 2nd or 3rd grade student, they could probably help you make one!



